Ramadan Special - Nonbu Kanji Recipe - Nombu Kanji Recipe

Nonbu Kanji is porridge usually prepares at the time of Ramadan days to break the fast in the evening. This recipe I got from my childhood friend's mom. Usually she prepares using Noi arisi, which sells at the time of Ramadan fasting days. In my own recipe I used seeraga samba rice which is smaller in size compared to other rices. If you use basmati rice put it blender and grind coarsely.



During my school years every year I got this from my friends home, they told they get from pallivasal which tastes more delicious than homemade. My friend told many families everyday gives rice and dal to pallivasal on fasting days they prepare with the variety mix of rices and spices so that it tastes awesome. After few years at my workplace home, one of my neighbors did this fasting and she shared this kanji. After I return my work, she gives kanji with some non veg appetizer. Me and my husband will complete in few minutes. Once we moved out of the country really missing these peoples love badly.

Here is the recipe for authentic Nombu Kanji. Hope you guys try and let me know.

Ingredients

  • Oil - 1 tbsp
  • Ghee - 1 tbsp
  • Cloves - 3
  • Cardamom - 3
  • Cinnamon - 1 inch 
  • Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
  • Onion - 1
  • Crushed ginger garlic - 1 tbsp
  • Green chili - 2
  • Tomatoes - 1
  • Minced meat / kothu kari - 1 cup
  • Seeraga samba rice - 3/4 cup
  • Moong dal - 1/2 cup
  • Coconut Milk - 1 cup
  • Water - 3 cups
  • A handful of corriander leaves
  • Salt as taste

Method

  1. Soak rice and dal together for 15 mins. After 15 mins, hand-crush and keep aside.
  2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and fenugreek.Add onions and saute it. Add crushed ginger garlic, green chili, tomatoes and salt. Saute it for 2 mins.
  3. Add minced meat, soaked rice and dal.  Add water, coriander leaves and close the lid. Allow it to 5 - 7 whistles.
  4. After natural release the pressure, open the lid. Add coconut milk and mix it well. Do taste check and adjust salt. Serve with hot pakodas. 
Add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and fenugreek seeds
Add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and fenugreek seeds

Add onions, ginger garlic
Add onions, ginger garlic

Add green chili, tomatoes
Add green chili, tomatoes
Add minced meat
Add minced meat

Add soaked rice and dal
Add soaked rice and dal
Add water and coriander leaves
Add water and coriander leaves
Open after natural release the pressure
Open after natural release the pressure
Add coconut milk
Add coconut milk




0 comments:

Post a Comment