Potato Bonda - Aloo Bonda - Tea time snack recipe

Potato bonda / Aloo bonda is a deep fried delicious snack prepared with potatoes and chickpea flour batter. Best for tea time snacks or rainy day snacks. This is one such recipe which i prepareoftenly, but it taken ages for me to include in my blog 😉



Ingredients

For  potato balls
  •    Potatoes – 3 medium size
  •    Onion chopped – 1
  •    Green chilli – 2
  •    Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp finely chopped
  •    Salt to taste
  •    Oil for deep frying
   For the Batter
  •    Gram flour / Besan flour – 3/4 cup
  •    Rice flour – 1/4 cup
  •    Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
  •    Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
  •    Baking soda – a pinch
  •    Asafoetida – a pinch
  •    Salt as required
  •    Water as required

Method

How to make potato balls
  1. Boil and smash the potatoes.
  2. Add onions, chili, coriander leaves and salt.
  3. Divide the potato mixture equally and make balls out of it.
How to prepare bonda batter
  1. Take a bowl, mix together gram flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and baking soda.
  2. Add water little by little ans mix it well so that the batter is neither thin nor too thick, thats the consistency to coat the potato balls. This is the bonda batter. 
  3. Dip potato balls in the prepared batter in such a way it is well coated on all the sides.

Deep fry the oil
  1. Heat the oil, drop a small drop of batter into the oil, it raises immediately then the oil is ready for frying.
  2. On medium flame, drop 3 of the batter coated potato balls into the oil.
    Do deep fry, flip it over and fry until it turns golden brown.

    Remove from oil and place it on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat the same for the all the potato balls.
  3. Potato bondas can be served with coconut chutney or green chutney.
Boiled and smashed potatoes
Add onions, chili, coriander leaves and salt
 










Make balls out of it
Mix together gram flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and baking soda.
Add water and mix it together
Batter is neither thin nor too thick
Dip and coat it well





23 comments:

  1. Well now this is a unique tea time snack! Usually it's sweet treats! I love savory way more though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. I've never had this before. I've never even heard of it. It looks fantastic though. I love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat my weight in that! I've never tried a savory snack for tea time before. I kind of love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks so good and easy to make. Is like the perfect snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of nuggets. And this recipe looks so similar to that. It looks so so delicious. Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. A new way to cook potato. this looks delicious, just like a meatball. :) I love to try this one out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of stuffed potato balls that I used to always eat as a kid when I visited Puerto Rico. Would love to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been the potato Queen recently - haha! This looks like a great way to cook, really yummy. Definitely want to try this one out.

    Ashlee | ashleemoyo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite interesting recipe. My daughter loves anything with potatoes in it and I'm sure she'll love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh these actually look really good. I could just eat a few of these right now yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks easy enough to make that even I could do it

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look great!! I have never heard of these before but love to try new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will try this recipe. My husband loves anything potato related. He'd love these for sure. I will have to check where I can get all those ingredients. Hopefully I find them on my next grocery run.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We tried this,super taste simple and amazing

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting recipe. I think I never heard of anything like it. But looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pure desi recipe. The recipe sounds really great and truly it is worth a try. And I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete