Millet Recipes - Barnyard Millet Sweet Pongal Recipe

Barnyard Millet Pongal / Kuthiraivali Pongal is a simple variation from the regular sweet Pongal recipe. Barnyard Millet Pongal takes very less time compared to the rice pongal Recipe.



Ingredients

  • Foxtail millet – 1 cup
  • Moong dal  – 1/2 cup
  • Grated Jaggery – 1 cup
  • Salt - a pinch
  • Ghee – 1 tbsp
  • Badam crushed – 10
  • Cardamom crushed – 1 tsp

Method

  1. Pressure cook the moong dal and foxtail millet with 4 cups of water for 3 whistles.
  2. Add grated jaggery, salt and cardamom. Mix well.
  3. Add crushed badam and ghee, if you need you can fry in ghee.
  4. Transfer to bowl and serve.
Take millet and dal
Wash millet and dal
After 3 whistles and allow natural release
Add jaggery
Add jaggery and salt
Add crushed badam
Add badam and cardomom
Ready to serve



12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing another great recipe. This will be a great dish for my gluten-free friends, and high in nutrients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband will love this millet recipe. We just knocked the dust off of our pressure cooker so this is the perfect time for us to make this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent actually tried this one, but it looks so delicious! Can I have some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dish looks so good, I would just have to find where I can find all the ingredients. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never cooked with millet before. This sounds like an interesting dish and it is nice to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this today for my family and it was a hit! Great recipe and keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that looks lovely, i will recommend it to my friends, she will love this !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking for a new recipe for our family dinner and this is a perfect timing. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never use Foxtail millet but this recipe is making me hungery. I am going to see if the store has some and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete